The time is 1957. The place is Kingston, New York. The members of
Council 275 had formed a First Degree Team. It so happened that Joe Saccoman
was the District Deputy and the team members were primarily from the
Saugerties area. The team consisted of George Topple, Warden; Grand Knight,
Bob Campbell; Deputy Grand Knight, Al Conte and Chancellor, Ken Blundell.
The team was doing a good job and Joe Saccoman and Bob Campbell were
discussing the possibility of starting a new council in Saugerties. They
decided to disuss it further with their friends in Saugerties. Bob thought
Father Daley of St. John's Parish in Veteran would be supportive as they
would need the support of the clergy. If they could get enough men
interested they might have a chance of getting a Charter for a new council.
So the ball got rolling. Bob, Al, Ken, and George were instrumental in
contacting their friends in Saugerties and had several meetings with Joe
Saccoman. They finally had enough men interested and decided to go ahead
with the formation of a new council.
The first organizational meetings were held at Jake Welsh's house on
Hill Street, Saugerties. Jake was a local plumber, had an office in
Saugerties, and his secretary was very helpful in getting a lot of the paper
work done. He agreed to take on the duties of Financial Secretary. Vince
Amrod was a local Accountant and his family ran Amrod's Department Store on
Partition Street, Saugerties. Vince agreed to take on the duties of
Treasurer. All was working out well and Father Daley was in agreement that
they could hold their monthly meetings in his church building on Route 212,
Veteran, New York.
Council 4536 received its Charter on January 8, 1958, and the meetings
were held in the St. John's church building in Veteran on the first and third
Wednesdays of each month. The meetings were well run by the Grand Knight,
Bob Campbell. Father Daley attended each meeting and gave the Council
members his spiritual support. The other officers followed by assuming their
positions. Al Conte became the Deputy Grand Knight, Ken Blundell Chancellor
and George Topple Warden.